Saturday, March 21, 2009

MAR 22, 2009 - DIY Light Box

I, usually, use the light box at work (art department), but it is inconvenient. I figured I'd buy one, but the cost is much higher than I thought it would be. So I made one, today. There are so many different approaches. I took stuff from different DIY's and came up with my own.

Stage 1 To complete the light box, I bought interfacing from the fabric store and taped it onto the sides and top, and I used two small flood lights to light the box. I, also put poster board in it as a background.

It is about a million times better than nothing. I'm not convinced I wouldn't have been better off buying one. It turned out to be kind of expensive to make. Duct tape was $7. That was particularly shocking to me :) I guess I should have got a box from Home Depot. It turns out they are 99 cent, but I stopped in at Mail Boxes, Etc for a card board box and it cost me 6.50. The lights were only $10 each, but the bulbs were $7 each. The exacto knife was $3.50. I don't feel like adding it all up, but the whole set up had to have been close to $50. Couldn't I have bought a basic light tent set up for $50? I'm not really complaining. It was fun, and it is cool that I did it myself.

10 comments:

  1. Hey but look at what you learned and most of the stuff is fairly adaptable so the mods you make will be a sinch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worry about the comment of the blogmonster, "BORING" you gotta be joking Linda, The fun of this shot and the power of yesterfays shot is tremendous, Rember "If you Build It They WILL Come" It's all Good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really want one of these! I am not the most patient person in the world, so I am not sure how frustrated I would get making it - but for the cost, I have to try!! Great image, this is really good - and by the way, I'm with Ron (for the first time) I could never call your images boring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While we all might hate to admit that Ron is right about something (besides ocelots), he's correct this time. Your shots are not boring. Love the Gumby and the detail of your light box building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gumby looks very proud of you and thrilled to be the firs photo taken in the light box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Gumby but where's Pokey?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your did a great job on your light box. Gumby looks very happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with your light box or Gumby. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed that you made this and I am doubly impressed by your photography!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I second Kim's comment! Now I'll have to build a lightbox, too. The photos you've taken with it are marvelous.

    ReplyDelete