Sunday, March 1, 2009

MAR 1, 2009 - Orion Nebula - Out of This World (43)

I know...I am supposed to be on the Pier. I'm still there, but I am just, too, excited about this one to wait. I attached my camera to my telescope and used the telescope lens as my camera lens (I think it is called prime focusing.) . To do good astrophotography, you need equipment that I just don't have and don't foresee being able to get any time soon (mainly a wedge). Essentially, without the proper equipment, the most I can hope for is a 30 second exposure. I don't know how to "stack" the photos are do anything related to astrophotography other than connecting my camera to the front of the telescope, but I am excited that I was able to see so much color in the Orion nebula. It is so thrilling to see something in the camera that you can't see with your naked eye! I know if I keep practicing, I'll be able to get those stars in better focus.


12 comments:

  1. Lovely shot. I'm envious. I don't have a telescope but spend a lot of time in that part of the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super! This turned out awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, great job! What beautiful color you captured...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...I want one! Actually, I would be happy to get a detailed look at the moon.... Keep trying and getting more experience. You will be rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thrilling just aint the word, I would kill to have got that shot, it is magnificent, every time I try that sort of the the Earth's movement gives me great streaks of light, "Stop the World" I don't want to get off just take a steady photo" Great Shot thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only seen nebulae on TV or in books. To see one that is actually just taken from a camera looking through a home telescope is amazing.
    I would very much like for you to keep practicing astrography and get whatever equipment you need to get the stars a little more focused.

    ReplyDelete
  7. VERY cool! It's just amazing to me that you were able to photograph a nebula.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cool- for all our sakes I hope you keep practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is truly amazing!!! You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an excellent shot - and what a creative way to adapt to not having 'the right gear'. It looks like a crystal clear nebula to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great shot. I always try different types of photography, now and then, it's my hobby after all. Last fall I tried taking some photos of the moon and stars and ran into the same problem you have tracking the stars, etc. I don't believe in expensive equipment so I had searched for a low cost option and this is what I found.

    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Column/8102/scotchmount.html

    http://www.philharrington.net/scotch.htm

    I've not constructed one of these yet for my camera but it's on my to-do-list.

    Not sure if you could scale it up for a telescope mount instead of a camera (may involve some math or my by way trial and error)

    ReplyDelete