Saturday, May 2, 2009

May 2, 2009 - Cheap Eats

Challenge: Cheap Eats
Camera Data:
Sony A350
Lens: Tamron 70-200 Macro
Shutter Speed: 1/4000 second
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 160 MM
ISO: 800

I knew exactly what I wanted to take a photo of and how I wanted the pic to look as soon as I saw the challenge, but getting my kids to do what I needed was the most challenging part. I had my little guy hold the hose and my 8 year old hold the apple, but it was cold and windy. By the time I got the shot all three of us were wet and cold. Not to mention that I made them do it twice, because I thought I had the shot, but when I looked at it on the computer, it wasn't what I wanted. By the time I decided that we needed to do it again, one of the kids had eaten the apple. (Just their luck, I found another in the back of the frig :)

The problem I had with the shot was figuring out the right aperture and ISO to blur the background but keep the water and apple sharp. I started with ISO 400, but, then, I upped it to 800 with the second go around. (800 is about the highest ISO I use with my camera. Anything higher produces too much noise for my taste.) If I would have had cooperative assistants, I would have experimented more, changing the aperture to f4 or f5 to see what happened. I also wasn't, totally, happy with the way the apple was being held, but my little guys were doing the best they could :)

7 comments:

  1. I think this is one of your best to date - this so so imaginative and what a take! Love the clarity and details you picked up! AWESOME, Linda!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. You went to a lot of effort but it definitely paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great photo. I saw it in Elements Village, and I really loved it. It is very creative. My family gets very tired of being my photo assistants also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous. I love the water droplets, flying everywhere. Reading your vision and SEEING your vision come to life - very cool! I got a chuckle out of your assistants eating the props... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this at the Village too and wondered about the specifics of shooting it. Glad to see you've included all the info here in your blog - very useful. It does sound like challenging circumstances but your result is excellent. Very inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!! Not only is it very creative it is a fabulous photograph. You and your assistants did a great job.

    ReplyDelete