Thursday, May 14, 2009

May 14, 2009 - Messier 3

I few days ago. I finally got the first item that I need to do atrophotography, a wedge. This is my first shot with it. This is Messier 3, a globular cluster in Canes Venatici. My husband and I worked for hours to figure out how to polar align the wedge, which must be done to make the thing useful. We didn't do the best job. You can tell, because the stars are still a little elongated. However, I know we'll get better. I've been doing some research. Hopefully, we will get back out this weekend. I'll post a photo of the wedge and more info about it as well as well as a comparison shot.

Camera Data: Sony A350
Lens: Prime focus with CPC 800
Shutter Speed: about 4 min
ISO: 800

6 comments:

  1. So cool!! All your work was well worth it - this is totally awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you a lot of credit for taking on the challenge of learning how to do this. And you image looks amazing to me. I look forward to seeing the wedge and hearing about how it functions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To quote Prince Charles, "My knees are Green with envy", absolutely stunning and beautiful. I am having dreams waiting for you post of the "Wedge"

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing interest in photography. I just wish I could get a good shot of the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent first effort. I look forward to seeing more. Good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool. This is such an interesting aspect of photography. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete