Saturday, July 25, 2009

July 25, 2009 - Hours, Days (152)

I have been trying to get a hummingbird shot for so.... long. I really want to freeze the wings, but I just don't think I can do it. I spent two days with the camera set up on a tripod with a remote. As I see it, I have two problems.
Problem #1: The feeder is always shaded. At ISO 800, my camera produces too much noise for the delicate features of the bird, and the shutterspeed necessary at ISO 400 is just too underexposed. The best I can do with my camera is 1/4000 which I think would be fast enough if I were in direct sunlight. I guess my only hope is to use a flash. I have no experience using a flash as a fill, but I will try. I hope I don't blind the poor bird.
Problem #2: The auto focus focuses on the feeder, rather than the bird, and I am not quick enough to get to the camera and focus manually. I'm using my macro lens with 2.8 aperture which means the focus really has to be right on. I have no theory as to how I am going to get around that problem. Humm...

6 comments:

  1. I love this shot. I too have been trying to get the hummingbirds. Yours is way better than any of mine. So I don't have any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting set of problems! I think this photo is great...I have a lot of photos of crisp, sharp feeders and little green blurry blobs if you want some comparisons...(ha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And those little hummers are so fast! I never did quite get the shot I wanted with the feeders in the shade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks pretty good to me! Love that you got the hummer drinking and love all those bright colors and awesome bokeh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a nice shot of a hard to capture little critter. I've had a lot of luck with hummingbird shots by using a zoom lens, camera on a tripod, and setting up so the lens is out as far as it will go and still focus. I focus tight on the feeder right where the bird will feed. Turn off continuous auto focus if you have it or the camera will be tripped up by the bird's movement. You should be able to get within 3 or 4 feet of the feeder easily if you sit quietly. Then wait for your visitor and start shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did well, they are tricky especially in shade. Nice to know I'm not the only one hanging out by the feeder.

    ReplyDelete