Thursday, April 9, 2009

APR 9, 2009 - Big Events (6)


My kindergarten son won a speech contest in October at his school. He dressed up as Jesse Owens and gave 3 minute, memorized speech as if he was Jesse Owens. The principal of his school requested that he say the speech again at a school event. The principal gave us less than a weeks notice, so I was less than enthused. I didn't want to put the pressure on him to learn the speech again in such a short time. I didn't say no at first, but after I talked it over with my husband, we decided to decline. However, my son's teacher had asked him directly, so he decided to take matters into his own hands. I didn't want to help him learn it, so he asked me to print it out, and he read the speech over and over on his own. He learned it again, and he performed it perfectly at the event. I was so proud of him.

Just as the principal was singing his praises after he sat back down with us at a big table in the front, he let out the biggest BURP, then he started to laugh. (He claims it was an accident, but I don't believe him. He just learned to burp and he does it ALL the time.) Then, my husband started to laugh. Then, my other son started to laugh. No one else was laughing--just them. Eventually, I gave signal to my husband make a run for it, but my husband was really slow to get the hint. The whole thing was really funny and embarrassing, at the same time.

11 comments:

  1. What a great event! And a great family memory... I think that burp really made it special. It took the seriousness and gave it a touch of humor! Your son is cool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's going to go far! What a great idea for a speech and very impressive that a little guy like that would step up to the plate to deliver it on short notice.

    Hey, I'm sure Jesse Owens burped once in a while too. Probably on purpose... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo - Terrific. The story - Fantastic, told so well great humour and succinctness. I hope you really learned your lesson, A week is a heap of time for a kindergarten kid, learning is what they are geared for, talking to the school, wow Grown Up stuff - real Big Deal. I am so glad for him that he was proactive, real Presidential Stuff there. and Burping IS big time too. Loved the entire post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your story and your picture illustrates it perfectly! You must be proud of that grand son of yours (even with the burps - a true boy)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great story. The look on his face is priceless. A little burp doesn't mean anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, what a funny story! Bravo for recalling the speech so quickly. You may have a budding Thespian on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a lot of grown-ups who would fall apart at the idea of giving a 3 minute momorized speech! Your son looks like a very confident young man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting for all of you especially for him. This is such an honor. He looks very confident and you captured this photo at the perfect time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute story to go with a nice photograph of your son...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A super story and a really memorable photo for a memorable moment. Congrats to your son for a job well done and to you for this nice photo.

    ReplyDelete