Sunday, June 7, 2009

June 7, 2009

Yesterday's photo came out of the camera very nicely. I messed with it a little, but it was genuinely a good photo with nice exposure. Comparatively, I went to a park less than a mile away and took a photo within five minutes of the photo in yesterday's post and the clouds were completely blown. What went wrong?---a litany of things. The main thing is that, with the first shot, I used my histogram. My interpretation of the histogram can lead me to overexpose sometimes, but more often than not, I get a better exposure with the histogram. When I moved locations, I wasn't thinking. I didn't use the histogram. I just snapped. If I would have thought about it, I would have known the bridge and shadows were going to be a problem for the auto metering. When I looked at the photo, I could tell the clouds were blown, but I didn't have time to figure the shot out. It turned out to be salvageable, but I'm most gratified when I take a good shot, not when I create one. I blended exposures creating different exposures with my raw settings. This usually works out better for me than taking different photos with different exposures. Can you tell along the tree line? I'll answer that, yes, you can tell along the tree line. It isn't the most natural transition in the world. I guess I could do better if I would have taken more time, but, as it is, this photo has probably taken up half my life not to mention the longest post in history :) Would I ultimately get a better product if I took different photos with different exposures rather than working with the same photo?

3 comments:

  1. Well, I don't know if I can see the blend along the tree line. Maybe you are viewing it a little too critically? I use the method of creating the varying exposures in Lightroom (rather than ACR) for HDR processing and have to admit that I've never thought making the actual multiple exposures in camera made any difference to the outcome. So, I'm not sure you would have improved the outcome by doing your multiples in camera.

    It is a lovely image - I like how the curves of the bridge are repeated in the line of hills and in the cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture. The bridge and the shadows are nice. I really like the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bridge draws you right across it into the scene. I'm impressed with your processing - it looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete